SLOAN MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
1 8 8 0 - 2 0 1 9
SLOAN MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, one of the oldest black churches in Houston, was started in 1880 by Rev. Ed Roscoe, who served as the first pastor, with the assistance of Rev. George Davis and Rev. James Smith. The organizational meeting was held under a tent at the current location. In 1881, church trustees – Wash Breed, Frank Miller, Enoch Sherman, Will Love, Tom Stewart, and Dick Thomas purchased the property from J. E. Foster, a local realtor. Since the land was located on Sloan Street, later renamed Sydnor Street, the original congregation name was SLOAN STREET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
Struggling through years of trials and discouragements, the determined founding fathers survived to create a church of prominence with a foundation of great depth. In 1883, Sloan Street Church, with a membership of 31, made her first report to the Annual Conference held in Paris, Texas.
In 1896, with the Rev. C. C. Curtis as pastor, the first musical instrument, an organ, was purchased by Brother William Wyndon for $40 and given to the church. This organ, of 19th century vintage, is one of the oldest archives still in the church today.
The first sanctuary and parsonage were destroyed by fire in 1912. During the construction of a new chapel, worship services were held in a frame building at the corner of Meadow and Nance streets. Additional facilities were completed during a 1950 building program.
In recognition of Sloan’s faithful service in the Houston community under the guidance of our Heavenly Father, dedicated clergy, and committed servants of God, a historical marker was erected on the church property in 1981, and dedicated on the occasion of the church’s 100th anniversary celebration.
A historical institution indeed! Sloan Memorial United Methodist Church continues to stand tall as it reaches out to bring new life and new hope in fulfilling the call of the “great commission” – to make disciples for Jesus Christ.
Sloan Memorial United Methodist Church
* DID YOU KNOW THAT? *
Sloan Memorial United Methodist Church, one of the oldest black churches in Houston, was started in 1880 by Rev. Ed Roscoe, who served as its first pastor.
The original congregational name was SLOAN STREET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH , since the land where the church was located was on “Sloan Street”, later renamed Sydnor Street.
In 1883, with a membership of 31, Sloan made her first report to the Annual Conference held in Paris,Texas.
Sloan’s first musical instrument, an organ, was purchased in 1896 by Brother William Wyndon, for $40, and given to the church. This organ, of 19th century vintage, is one of the oldest archives still in the church’s possession today.
In recognition of Sloan’s faithful service in the Houston community, a historical marker was erected on the church property in 1981, and dedicated on the occasion of the church’s 100th anniversary celebration. Sloan UMC maintains this “historical recognition” and looks forward to erecting a new marker at the site of its forthcoming worship center.
Numerous artifacts and documents from Sloan’s rich history are housed at Houston’s Gregory Lincoln Museum of Afro-American History.
Sloan’s legacy is rich in service and commitment to making disciples for Christ; but, THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
1880 - Rev. Ed Roscoe
1883 - Rev. Allen Harris
1896 - Rev. C. C. Curtis
1912 - Rev. Freeman Parker
1913 - Rev. C. E. D. Belcher
From 1914 to 1935 - Eight Ministers Served
From 1935 to 1937 - Rev. A. W. Carr
From 1937 to 1955 - Rev. J. C. Stripling
From 1955 to 1965 - Rev. L. V. Winfield
From 6/1965 to 1970 - Rev. C. C. Jammer, Sr.
From 6/1970 to 1978 - Rev. Charles King Hayes
From 6/1978 to 1982 - Rev. Simon Snell
From 6/1982 to 1990 - Rev. Nathaniel H. McGinnis, Sr.
From 6/1990 to 1993 - Rev. Samuel Jenkins
From 6/1993 to 1996 - Rev. Dr. Sara Gertrude Johnson
From 6/1996 to 1997 - Rev. Paul Polk
From 6/1997 to 1998 - Rev. Dr. Sara Gertrude Johnson
From 6/1998 to 2002 - Rev. Dollie Humphrey
From 6/2002 to 1/2005 - Rev. C. C. Jammer, Jr.
From 1/2005 to 2007 - Rev. Isiah Lee, Jr.
From 6/2007 to 2009 - Rev. Develous A. Bright
From 6/2009 to 2017 - Rev. Joseph Rodney Wilson, Sr.
From 7/2017 to 6/2018 - Rev. Anjelita Dirden
From 7/2018 to Present - Rev. Nadine Graham